Awareness of Sin
The person described in Romans 7 has a deep awareness of his own sin and an equally deep desire to please the Lord in all things. Why?
- Because he knows sin grieves the Holy Spirit (Eph. 4:30).
- Because it dishonors God (1 Cor. 6:19–20).
- Because sin keeps his prayers from being answered (1 Pet. 3:12).
- Because sin makes his life spiritually powerless (1 Cor. 9:27).
- Because it causes good things from God to be withheld (Jer. 5:25).
- Because it robs him of the joy of his salvation (Ps. 51:12).
- Because it slows down spiritual growth (1 Cor. 3:1).
- Because it brings chastisement from the Lord (Heb. 12:5–7).
- Because it prevents being a fit vessel for the Lord to use for His Glory (2 Tim. 2:21).
- The genuine believer is sensitive to sin because it pollutes Christian fellowship (1 Cor. 10:21).
- Because it prevents participating properly in the Lord’s Supper (1 Cor. 11:28–29).
- Because it can even endanger his physical life and health (1 Cor. 11:30; 1 John 5:16).